Descriptive Reflection (Formal Introductory Letter)

 Dear Professor Brad Blackstone, 

 

I hope this letter finds you well. My name is Muhammad 'Aqil, a first-year student in Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering, and I am currently enrolled in your class for Critical Thinking and Communication. I am writing to you to formally introduce myself and share my current goals for this module. Prior to this, I graduated with a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from Singapore Polytechnic and took a year-long break working for Murata as an Assistant Engineer in the Product Design Department.  


I was given the opportunity to experience and conduct multiple mechanical and electrical testing in the research and development phase such as the altitude test. In this test, lithium-ion batteries would be placed in a pressurized chamber to simulate an airplane's altitude pressure on cargo. As the pressure gradually rise, sensors would automatically record the data of any changes in its physical structure and electrical performance. We were then required to analyze the given data, derive the cause of it, and make changes accordingly.


This process allowed me to appreciate the marvels of engineering as I had to consider every possible aspect from calculating the slightest force generated onto the battery to the material used in the battery before I was able to derive a conclusion in my report and provide a solution to my superiors.  Thus, with greater appreciation and time in hand, I decided to seize the opportunity to broaden my knowledge and further my studies, eventually leading me to this course. 


This experience has also taught me more about myself and how I would often communicate with my colleagues and classmates through active listening.  Active listening enables me to focus on what the person I am talking to is actually communicating. It lets the other person know that I am acknowledging their needs, their ideas, and their feelings – which, in turn, can help me understand how to address their problem better. Thus, making it the most effective and comfortable choice of communication for me.  


However, I too have realized that I lack in non-verbal communication such as body language, where I may say one thing, but my face may say another. For example, I may sound interested when I am listening to my friends’ concerns but give away my true feelings by slouching or looking around, or generally appearing uninterested during the meet-up. This would often imply to others that I am not actually interested in what my friends are saying – possibly creating a rift in our relationship. 


With that being said, I hope to accomplish a better form of non-verbal communication by actively participating with my classmates and groupmates. Also, I hope to improve my writing skills in order to better address my future audience with clarity.  


In all, I hope that my experience in the industry and ability to be versatile with others will better serve those around me and in return allow me to improve myself as an individual. I look forward to learning from you and participating in your class. 


Yours Sincerely, 

Muhammad ‘Aqil 

Comments

  1. Dear Aqil,

    Thank you for this highly informative letter. The content is well aligned with the assignment brief, you present your thoughts in a highly detailed and well-organized manner and the language use is generally fluent. The work experience you shared is interesting and I appreciate the way you explain how that has impacted both your interest in engineering and needs for communication.

    You also demonstrate a willingness to improve various comm skills in this post, connecting those skill needs to your study and eventual career path. In terms of skills development, there are a few areas in this post you need to take note of:

    1. overuse of caps

    2. sentence structure/punctuation
    -- One of which was the Altitude Test. > (fragment) ?
    -- One of which is active listening
    -- ...I am acknowledging their needs, their ideas, and their feelings – which, in turn, can help me understand how to address their problem better. > (punctuation) ...I am acknowledging their needs, their ideas, and their feelings, which, in turn, can help me understand how to address their problem better.
    -- Thus, making it the most effective and comfortable choice of communication for me. > (fragment) ?
    -- ...looking around, or generally appearing uninterested during the meet up. > ?
    -- ...saying – possibly creating a rift in our relationship. > ...saying, possibly creating a rift in our relationship.

    3. verb use
    -- As the pressure gradually rises, sensors would automatically record the data of any changes in its physical structure and electrical performance. > (tense inconsistency)

    I do wonder why you haven't gotten feedback on this fine letter from blogmates. Could it be because your team wasn;t clear identified? Let's sort that out.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback prof, I made some changes and hopefully it's better this time round.

      Delete
  2. Dear 'Aqil, this is a very well-written letter. The experience you had from your work seems very fulfilling in terms of gaining engineering skills. The content of your letter is also very detailed and well-organized. I enjoyed reading your introductory letter and I managed to learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear 'Aqil, this letter is informative, well-organized, and fluent. The ending is well-written as it is clear and concise. However, there are some minor grammar errors and sentence structures that can be improved. Overall, I enjoyed reading your letter. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback Sabrina, I have made the changes accordingly.

      Delete
  4. Hello 'Aqil,

    I feel like this is a very good letter describing your background. You give a very intriguing description of your work experience which as you say lead you to pursue this degree program. There is good organisation, though I feel that the second paragraph could be split into two paragraphs; one explaining your work experience and the other paragraph explaining what you learnt from the work experience. Language use was clear, and I had no difficulty understanding.

    Sincerely,
    Rudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing that out Rudy, I have made the changes and greatly appreciate the help.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Reader Response Draft 4 : Updated feedback

Critical Reflection